[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

SSH and RSYNC

Guest Crumeniferus

Guest Crumeniferus
I think that rsync is a much more efficient tool than Filezilla or wput for keeping a website up to date, plus it is easier to script in makefiles. I use makefiles for site maintenance and I like to be sure I am using bandwidth efficiently, but also securely. The FTP based tools available make very poor calculations of what has changed and are not reliable enough to be allowed to update based on deltas. I have ended up with corrupted HTML pages and having to re-upload many static image elements of my web site because of the FTP software's inability to detect automatically the updates required. If ssh and rsync were available, or at least the rsync daemon, automatic, dependency-led web site updates would be much more reliable and of course more secure and more efficient.