[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Best Free Web Hosting

Admin

Hi all, 

What with so many clones out there trying to copy our service, we feel that we should re-iterate,,, we are the best of the best free web hosting services available ! Don't compromise on your project !  

• 2 months later...

Well I will admit that the server response time is quite fast but the 50,000 daily hit limit is kinda sad. At first I was ok with it because I thought it meant 50,000 visitors but nope it means every file that is shown. Which really sucks for websites with a lot of files. And please don't say "you can upgrade you account by link on the following link [LINK]" because with compromises like this it's hard to know if I can trust that it will be money well spent.

• 3 weeks later...

In other words, you just want free webhosting without limits. :)

There are ways to optimize a site to limit hits per visitor, but they require expertise beyond installing ready components with softaculous. Package as much of your website as possible into one huge single-page application or into a few discrete single-page apps depending on the nature of your content. Static resources such as icons and fonts offer easy savings; inline them inside CSS as data-URIs. Alternatively, icons can be combined into a single spritesheet image. If you serve many small files, optimizations of this nature can make your site noticeably faster due to less HTTP overhead. Common JS libraries can be served off a public CDN rather than your byethost account. And finally, CSS and JS files can be inlined inside HTML.

Practical example follows. I had a custom webapp that caused about 150 hits per visitor. Not good. That couldn't be served off a free byethost account for more than ~300 daily visitors without optimizations. So what I did was merging all CSS files, inlining icons/fonts in the CSS and serving JS libraries off a public CDN. Now it's 3 hits per visitor, 2% of the original 150! The optimized webapp can be served to ~16k visitors daily, which is more than enough for my modest use case. Should it ever grow to attract near 16k daily visitors in the future, I will simply inline the final remaining CSS and JS files inside HTML to reach the optimal 1 file per visitor.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...