[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

inodes error

Hi folks,

All was well for me in early web development land when I hit an error attempting to open softilicious from channel re having exceed the max no of inodes. My understanding is this relates to files/paths on the unix filestructure....

I suspect this is because I've been playing around with both Joomla and Wordpress and have a backup joomla installation cloned/mirrored elsewhere on the site.

I won't need that many nodes in the end but with three different CMSs installed just now - plus having to upload a theme unzipped due to the 10mb cap in effect.... I can understand the bloat causing an issue.

The real problem has been fixing this....

Following this I cannot log into softilicious to delete the un-needed backup install or the file manager to delete from there. I loaded up filezilla and deleted the most massive template I had used...but this still hasn't resolved the problem.

Help?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with deleting files to try and bring the inode count and let web development continue.

My site is www.nextlevelaesthetics.com 

Edited by DrICampbell

15 minutes ago, DrICampbell said:

Hi folks,

All was well for me in early web development land when I hit an error attempting to open softilicious from channel re having exceed the max no of inodes. My understanding is this relates to files/paths on the unix filestructure....

I suspect this is because I've been playing around with both Joomla and Wordpress and have a backup joomla installation cloned/mirrored elsewhere on the site.

I won't need that many nodes in the end but with three different CMSs installed just now - plus having to upload a theme unzipped due to the 10mb cap in effect.... I can understand the bloat causing an issue.

The real problem has been fixing this....

Following this I cannot log into softilicious to delete the un-needed backup install or the file manager to delete from there. I loaded up filezilla and deleted the most massive template I had used...but this still hasn't resolved the problem.

Help?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with deleting files to try and bring the inode count and let web development continue.

My site is www.nextlevelaesthetics.com 

Hi DrICampbell,

"... deleting files will not reduce the inode count if the files have multiple hard links. As I said, inodes belong to the file, not the directory entry. If a file has two directory entries linked to it, deleting one will not free the inode ... "

You can find more here, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/653096/how-to-free-inode-usage .

Hope this helps you.

56 minutes ago, mike said:

Hi DrICampbell,

"... deleting files will not reduce the inode count if the files have multiple hard links. As I said, inodes belong to the file, not the directory entry. If a file has two directory entries linked to it, deleting one will not free the inode ... "

You can find more here, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/653096/how-to-free-inode-usage .

Hope this helps you.

I understand a bit more about the problem now. Probably my repeated cloning and backing up before starting to edit a copy of any of the installations with view to having a backup has generated loads of inode entries per file...the question is how to fix it....I've deleted files via FTP but still hit the error. I shouldn't delete installations without doing so properly as the mysql database will end up a total mess....

Most solutions I can see require use of terminal commands - do we have shell access/ssh? ...... else perhaps I can tech support to run such a command....

2 hours ago, DrICampbell said:

I understand a bit more about the problem now. Probably my repeated cloning and backing up before starting to edit a copy of any of the installations with view to having a backup has generated loads of inode entries per file...the question is how to fix it....I've deleted files via FTP but still hit the error. I shouldn't delete installations without doing so properly as the mysql database will end up a total mess....

Most solutions I can see require use of terminal commands - do we have shell access/ssh? ...... else perhaps I can tech support to run such a command....

Surely the fastest one would be to contact support, and have them solve this issue. But remember to download a backup of everything in the server to your pc, in case problems appear ( dont forget the database ).