[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

XMLRPC

Guest opensim

Guest opensim
I would like to ask for XMLRPC to be enabled for the free hosting. This would cost nothing to you and with a single check in the PHP configuration options it would be enabled. XMLRPC is being used more and more these days as XML and XHTML become commonplace. XMLRPC is not enabled by default but is easily enabled. This would open the door for 20,000 users that I know of who want this function. Thank you for your consideration

Guest Jean-Luc Picard
You really know 20,000 people who want this activated here? ;) I think that may be an exaggeration, even if it may be a good idea. :) Picard out...

Guest opensim
Well ok totally an exaggeration in some respects. But the system I work with is OpenSimulator, it is a 3D virtual world simulator similar to Second Life except totally free, everything is free, the software is free, mysql database is free, however some of the outboard services including groups, search and user profiles run from an external webserver and utilize XMLRPC, this forces users to have to pay for regular paid webserver to get XMLRPC because running this on a home server (WAMP or something) is naturally limited by domestic bandwidth speeds and thruput. The number of downloads of this simulator software since 2010 is 74,000 thats more than 20,000 per year, and each of these must pay for an XMLRPC enabled webserver if they want the outboard services. There are 304,000 registered users across the top 40 grids, and 17,000 active users this month. Without exaggeration I believe I could get a couple hundred users signing up for free webserver if I offered XMLRPC, and who knows maybe thousands????. This is in fact the reason I started this free hosting reseller account, and the domain names I registered for it were opensimservices.com and osdataservices.com. My domain names fall due for renewal and I checked in here and it seems everything is new so I figured it was worth asking if this might be done, after all it costs nothing. If XMLRPC will not be enabled then I am relegated back to schoolkids starting websites for fart jokes, and bloggers who run for a month never to be seen again, and this forces me to question the value of maintaining this free reseller service. Thanks for your interest. btw always happy to talk about OpenSim.

Guest BurkeKnight
We thank you for this suggestion, and the server administrators do occasionally check these feature request boards, so I think they may look into this idea. That does not mean that it will be implemented, just that they will look into it, and if possible it may be implemented. Unfortunately I can not provide any feedback or timescales on evaluation or similar. Best regards, and thank you for the suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...