[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

does anyone know how the Inodes work?

2 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

An inode is a record in a disk table, which contains information about a file or folder such as its size, owner, device node, socket, pipe, etc., except data content and file name. The number of inodes on your account equals the number of files and folders you have on it.

Therefore, to reduce your inode count, you would have to reduce the number of files and folders in your hosting account. Most commonly this is done by:

1. Removing all files and folders you don’t need
There may be some backup files and folders on your account, which could be generated by an extension or plugin installed on your website application. If you need some of these files you can download them locally on your computer through FTP and after that remove them from your hosting account.

2. Check the number of cache files you have
Modern web applications by default usually use file caching, which means that they might be generating a high amount of cache files inside your account, thus adding to its total inode. You should regularly check your website's 'cache' folder and reduce the number of cached files you keep. Most web applications which store cache include an option to purge the cache from within their administrative area.

If you have a large number of files and folders and reducing their number is not a suitable option for you, you may consider upgrading your account to a higher hosting plan with a higher inodes quota.

A very good explanation, wow.

12 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

It does not matter how many post you had because each posts is stored on MySQL database which does not linked to Inode system.
If you had a theme or plugin with tons of file's in it or you had a lot of theme's and plugin's, this may explain your Inode usage.
I suggest you to delete unused plugins and themes and reduce the plugin count if you can to reduce the Inode usage.

adding more in this 

If you have alot of attached files with your post uploaded on your server than your inode usage can be increased. It's better to host files on 3rd party file sharing websites and add a link to them

14 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

It does not matter how many post you had because each posts is stored on MySQL database which does not linked to Inode system.
If you had a theme or plugin with tons of file's in it or you had a lot of theme's and plugin's, this may explain your Inode usage.
I suggest you to delete unused plugins and themes and reduce the plugin count if you can to reduce the Inode usage.

Yeah...I forgot about that..I compared my old site and new site and found that innode usage was almost same

• 2 weeks later...