[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Server Type in Free Hosting

akhil

4 hours ago, akhil said:

For setting up the wpmu-defender plugin and for enabling some features. How can I find out what I am using?

You can find out what software your hosting server uses by asking your hosting provider? That's not me, but I can tell you that both Apache and NGINX are being used for every website.

3 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

What do you mean for every website?
Do you mean that 1 site was using 2 software at once?

No, he mean that every website uses apache or nginx mostly? To know which software is being used by your hosting company you need to contact their support. iFastNet is using Apache.

7 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

What do you mean for every website?
Do you mean that 1 site was using 2 software at once?

Yep, exactly. Every web request is first handled by NGINX and then by Apache. NGINX is more performant, but only Apache can run .htaccess rules.

3 hours ago, Aqib said:

iFastNet is using Apache.

.. and nginx.

1 hour ago, InfinityFree said:

Yep, exactly. Every web request is first handled by NGINX and then by Apache. NGINX is more performant, but only Apache can run .htaccess rules.

.. and nginx.

I think that apache and nginx are separately used. They are two different softwares and are used differently not combinely

34 minutes ago, Aqib said:

I think that apache and nginx are separately used. They are two different softwares and are used differently not combinely

iFastNet is an exception :P

They have also somehow managed to have some functions that are completely disabled in PHP 7.0 enabled!

On 7/29/2018 at 0:01 PM, Aqib said:

Of course they are different softwares and they are used differently! Why else would you combine them if they didn't have their own strengths and purposes?

Nope, you can combine them without any problem. You can relay HTTP requests through a theoretically infinite number of (different) HTTP servers.

How do you think Cloudflare works? They also use nginx to serve web pages, and that works fine when put in front of another nginx or Apache server.

16 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

Alright, thank you for the info.
This mean we're safe from Slow Loris attack right?
Since it's first handled by NGINX..

I guess so. 

On 7/29/2018 at 0:37 PM, PCTipsGR said:

iFastNet is an exception :P

In this regard, not really. It's pretty much standard practice if you want nginx's performance with mod_php and .htaccess support. In the world of free hosting, it's fairly common as far as I know.

Heck, DigitalOcean has a really straight forward tutorial on how you can set this up on your own server: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-nginx-as-a-web-server-and-reverse-proxy-for-apache-on-one-ubuntu-16-04-server

Edited by InfinityFree

16 minutes ago, InfinityFree said:

Of course they are different softwares and they are used differently! Why else would you combine them if they didn't have their own strengths and purposes?

Nope, you can combine them without any problem. You can relay HTTP requests through a theoretically infinite number of (different) HTTP servers.

How do you think Cloudflare works? They also use nginx to serve web pages, and that works fine when put in front of another nginx or Apache server.

Okay!