[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

cPanel HTTPS Redirect

With the SSL certificates installed on cPanel, HTTPS now works. But, it defaults to default hyper text transfer protocol (HTTP) rather than encrypted hyper text transfer protocol (HTTPS). In order to fix this, an HTTP 301 redirect needs to be applied. In other words, cpanel.resellerdomain.whatever needs to redirect to https://cpanel.resellerdomain.whatever . I wasn't able to achieve this in my cPanel (cpanel.rese..... wasn't listed under "redirects"), so, I thought I would add it here.

On 20/10/2018 at 4:51 AM, Logan L Johnson said:

With the SSL certificates installed on cPanel, HTTPS now works. But, it defaults to default hyper text transfer protocol (HTTP) rather than encrypted hyper text transfer protocol (HTTPS). In order to fix this, an HTTP 301 redirect needs to be applied. In other words, cpanel.resellerdomain.whatever needs to redirect to https://cpanel.resellerdomain.whatever . I wasn't able to achieve this in my cPanel (cpanel.rese..... wasn't listed under "redirects"), so, I thought I would add it here.

Yeah, that would be great. Since even old OS like Windows XP support Let's Encrypt, it would be very nice to have, however when for some reason the SSL is not working (eg. when it is expire and a new one is issued by MOFH) users would get an error and would not be able to visit the site / it would require confirmation to visit it.

A 301 Redirect is not a solution though, simply because when issues happen we would need to visit it via HTTP, which would not be possible due to the 301 redirection. If it could default to HTTPS but HTTP would be still available to use, it would be great.

You could just make your reseller links redirect to the HTTPS version of vPanel so that your users who would click the login link would not visit the HTTP connection and only someone who visits manually cpanel.greenlighthosting.ml would get the HTTP version.

36 minutes ago, PCTipsGR said:

Yeah, that would be great. Since even old OS like Windows XP support Let's Encrypt, it would be very nice to have, however when for some reason the SSL is not working (eg. when it is expire and a new one is issued by MOFH) users would get an error and would not be able to visit the site / it would require confirmation to visit it.

A 301 Redirect is not a solution though, simply because when issues happen we would need to visit it via HTTP, which would not be possible due to the 301 redirection. If it could default to HTTPS but HTTP would be still available to use, it would be great.

You could just make your reseller links redirect to the HTTPS version of vPanel so that your users who would click the login link would not visit the HTTP connection and only someone who visits manually cpanel.greenlighthosting.ml would get the HTTP version.

I ended up creating this page; grnlgidp.greenlighthosting.ml to make cPanel use HTTPS.

Just now, Logan L Johnson said:

I ended up creating this page; grnlgidp.greenlighthosting.ml to make cPanel use HTTPS.

It wouldn't be necesarry; You could either make the "cPanel" link on your site link to https://cpanel.greenlighthosting.ml so that your visitors would not visit it over HTTP.

Anyway, I would recommend putting that on either a login subdomain (login.host.tld) or on a host.tld/login page, but I assume you are going to do that and that that URL was just for example. 

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, PCTipsGR said:

It wouldn't be necesarry; You could either make the "cPanel" link on your site link to https://cpanel.greenlighthosting.ml so that your visitors would not visit it over HTTP.

Anyway, I would recommend putting that on either a login subdomain (login.host.tld) or on a host.tld/login page, but I assume you are going to do that and that that URL was just for example. 

Good luck!

Yes, thanks

I'd also recommend if you take your reseller seriously that you get yourself a domain name :P

That said, I wasn't even aware that the vPanel was HTTPS-enabled. Also, speaking of SSL, which is a different topic, it's impossible for COMODO SSL to work with a paid domain with WHOIS Guard - since I couldn't get the CNAME record to work (gave an error 'Invalid destination 6' or something, what exactly does the 6 mean? I did circumvent this by setting up CloudFlare - which I must say is really well handled on these services :)

12 hours ago, Jeyneko said:

I'd also recommend if you take your reseller seriously that you get yourself a domain name :P

That said, I wasn't even aware that the vPanel was HTTPS-enabled. Also, speaking of SSL, which is a different topic, it's impossible for COMODO SSL to work with a paid domain with WHOIS Guard - since I couldn't get the CNAME record to work (gave an error 'Invalid destination 6' or something, what exactly does the 6 mean? I did circumvent this by setting up CloudFlare - which I must say is really well handled on these services :)

I do have a domain name. It is impossible to create an iFastNet reseller account without owning a domain. Cloudflare SSL is good for your website, I've used it with some of my current web apps. cPanel has SSL by default, but, you must link to it using HTTPS rather than HTTP.

1 hour ago, Jeyneko said:

Not sure what I was doing wrong but signups broke and started to say "no referrer" when I enabled CF, that's why I disabled it.

You did nothing wrong, however if you wanted it to work you should update the link in your HTML code from order.yourdomain.com to https://securesignup.net.

And also CloudFlare had to be enabled from vPanel, not you changing your name servers.