[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Javascript menu stopped displaying

BrianH

I have recently migrated from my ISP hosting to a free Byet account and all worked fine. But suddenly one HTML page with a Javascript menu no longer displays the menu. This occurs in Firefox, Chrome and Edge browsers. Javascript is enabled.

When invoked locally from the PC HDD it displays correctly on all browsers. I have re-uploaded the file but the problem remains. There is an additional point - the uploaded file also has minor text corruptions, note the missing spaces in the quotation beginning "There is nothing - [ .... ] as simply messing about in boats." is rendered as  "Thereis nothing - [ .... ] as simplymessing about in boats." (see attached images where Image 1 is invoked locally, Image2 from Byethost18.com.

Any hints as to what may be the cause would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Hi 360,

I have been using FileZilla FTP to upload the HTML files to my Byet account. For the forum content above, I ran the file from the HD, did a Print Screen then copied the clipboard to a graphics editor. Then invoked the online file and repeated. I then resized and compressed both images to get smaller file sizes (no other editing), saved the jpgs to disk and then copied them as attachments to the online forum message.

I hope I have understood - and answered - what you have asked.

Thanks for your message, by the way.

Thank you 360. I use FTP exclusively so no issue with File Manager.

The Javascript module that builds the menu is 622 lines of code and I will either have to debug it or introduce a simple HTML replacement. That will certainly not be so elegant as the original had multiple item nesting and kept station on the screen if/while it scrolled down.

I was up very late last night running the Firefox debugger and the Javascript was bumping into a few syntax exceptions  every time the file was invoked ...

I eventually traced the problem to some missing semi-colons in the script but it's a mystery how the file got corrupted. Probably when I made some cosmetic changes a few days ago and uploaded it.

Many thanks for your prompt support and help. Great to have you there.

Best regards,

Brian.