[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

addon domain with A record

Louisma

On 5/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, Louisma said:

Is it possible to add an addon domain in byethost cpanel that only point to an A record of our share ip address instead of using ns1.byet.org, etc. NS record

On 5/28/2020 at 3:17 AM, 360 said:

Unfortunately you can not link a domain only through A records. You will have to change your nameservers.

^ After that you can switch your nameservers back and point A record to IP of that server (But it can cause problems with signups if you are mofh reseller as for your that domain records won't be anymore handled by ifastnet)

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2020 at 6:15 AM, AA22Dev said:

^ After that you can switch your nameservers back and point A record to IP of that server (But it can cause problems with signups if you are mofh reseller as for your that domain records won't be anymore handled by ifastnet)

Where do you find the IP address of the server? What to list for the domain? Thanks so much! 🙂 -Anna

42 minutes ago, Anna said:

Where do you find the IP address of the server? What to list for the domain? Thanks so much! 🙂 -Anna

You can setup custom nameservers, the IP addresses will be the IP addresses of the nameservers provided in your Account Information e-mail.

You can find out the IP address of a server by opening a command prompt on your pc and typing:

ping <servername>

So if your nameservers were ns1.byethost.org and ns2.byethost.org

ping ns1.byethost.org

PING ns1.byethost.org (31.22.4.21) 56(84) bytes of data.

This shows that ns1.byethost.org has an IP address of 31.22.4.21

If you have setup custom nameservers in your domain registrar control panel please raise a support ticket with us to ensure your DNS configuration is all working correctly.

If you require any assistance on configuring your own custom nameservers please raise a support ticket.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:15 AM, AA22Dev said:

Hi! Thanks so much for your reply. Not sure if I understand. My question is if I am NOT using byethost nameservers (switched back to my registrar as above). Then I need to create an A record at my registrar to point to my byethost shared ip/directory. How/where do I find the shared ip for my custom domain directory created on byethost? Thank you so much! 🙂 -Anna

Thanks so much for offering to help! 🙂 Unfortunately, I already moved the nameserver back to my domain registrar. I needed to because I have email forwarding there, and it stopped working when I moved the nameserver to byethost. I don't care where the nameserver is, but my goal is to stay hosted on byethost (unless you have a better suggestion for a free host), and to also have email forwarding. So, I'm thinking the following (but please let me know if I am right).

1. I am assuming that the only way to keep email forwarding is NOT to move the nameserver away from my registrar(who does email forwarding for free). It seems that moving the nameserver to bytehost broke my forwarding.

2. I think the only way to ping the host would be for me to again (temporarily) move the nameserver back to byethost and then try pinging my domain name? Even though the domainname>hotdocs directory/domain files are still there, I assume there is no way to "ping" that without changing the nameserver back first?

3. You said "doesn't always work". I assume you mean sometimes it just returns the ip of the "parent" server? If that's the case, is there any other way to accomplish what I want?

On 3/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, Anna said:

Unfortunately, I already moved the nameserver back to my domain registrar.

As long as the domain is added to your Byet account, that's perfectly fine. You will just need to point the domain using A records to the hosting server.

I am assuming that the only way to keep email forwarding is NOT to move the nameserver away from my registrar(who does email forwarding for free)

Probably correct. Without knowing your domain name I can't make a 100% sure statement.

I think the only way to ping the host would be for me to again (temporarily) move the nameserver back to byethost and then try pinging my domain name?

Incorrect. If the domain is connected to a byet account, you can ping the authoritative server that iFastNet uses to get it's IP.

---

Can you answer these questions:

What is the domain name?

Is the domain connected to a Byet account?

11 minutes ago, TinkerMan said:

As long as the domain is added to your Byet account, that's perfectly fine. You will just need to point the domain using A records to the hosting server.

Well I'm totally biased, but of course I would recommend tinkerhost.net (The hosting backend is the same as Byet, but it has a much better client area / interface). But if your domain is already connected to a byet account, I would not recommend switching, it would just make everything more difficult. 

Probably correct. Without knowing your domain name I can't make a 100% sure statement.

Incorrect. If the domain is connected to a byet account, you can ping the authoritative server that iFastNet uses to get it's IP.

---

Can you answer these questions:

What is the domain name?

Is the domain connected to a Byet account?

I will send you a private message.

3. You said "doesn't always work". I assume you mean sometimes it just returns the ip of the "parent" server? If that's the case, is there any other way to accomplish what I want?

Since this answer doesn't seem to have been mentioned, you could also use a CNAME record by pointing your domain to the "Main Domain" value that can be found in the control panel's main page (on the "ACCOUNT DETAILS" sidebar), unless that value is the domain whose records you're looking to manage.

49 minutes ago, Burke Knight said:

Yes, it was.

From now on, please follow the rules and refrain from plugging your MOFH in support topics. There is a board for that, and support boards are not it. 

Okay. Well this workarround only works with my host, as the signup form is different than the one on byethost. If you actually looked at it, you could see that very well. Byet doesnt allow you to sign up with a domain. Its like advising a user to use infinityfree so they can get free ssl. 

17 hours ago, Anyx said:

Since this answer doesn't seem to have been mentioned, you could also use a CNAME record by pointing your domain to the "Main Domain" value that can be found in the control panel's main page (on the "ACCOUNT DETAILS" sidebar), unless that value is the domain whose records you're looking to manage.

So, only for domains that are setup via the API (e.g. InfinityFree, TinkerHost or any installation of Xera or Mofhy).