[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Byet & MOFH Nameservers

starline

Hey,

So I am wondering how that the byet nameserver thing works, when you create a mofh account- you get assigned your own nameservers.
Are these done via DNS like an A Record? 

How do these actually work- I've tried to look but the A Records do not show in the cPanel.

Thanks

10 hours ago, starline said:

Hey,

So I am wondering how that the byet nameserver thing works, when you create a mofh account- you get assigned your own nameservers.
Are these done via DNS like an A Record? 

How do these actually work- I've tried to look but the A Records do not show in the cPanel.

Thanks

So the way the Custom NS's work is MOFH sets them up for oyu in advance but you have to go and register the glue records at your registrar. You will need the NS IP addresses given to you in your welcome email. If you no longer have that email you will need to open a support ticket at ifastnet.com/support and they will give them to you. Alternatively you can you your primary cpanel account to open a support ticket as well and then escalate it in your Reseller Panel. If you chose this option make sure you mention that your a reseller and include your domain name. Support is really good about helping out with these inquiries

1 hour ago, MFS Webhosting said:

So the way the Custom NS's work is MOFH sets them up for oyu in advance but you have to go and register the glue records at your registrar. You will need the NS IP addresses given to you in your welcome email. If you no longer have that email you will need to open a support ticket at ifastnet.com/support and they will give them to you. Alternatively you can you your primary cpanel account to open a support ticket as well and then escalate it in your Reseller Panel. If you chose this option make sure you mention that your a reseller and include your domain name. Support is really good about helping out with these inquiries

No, I want to understand properly how they work.

I have never registered them as glue records, they just work automatically for me.

12 hours ago, starline said:

Those NS setup by mofh uses A record to point to an IP address. If you will try to use cloudflare with your mofh account then you will find A record for ns1 and ns2 in DNS records fetched by cloudflare.
You can also use any online dns checker tool to check dns records.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, starline said:

I have never registered them as glue records, they just work automatically for me.

@starline  Okay in the simplest of terms NS records are like phone numbers for the interweb. When you type in a domain name the g-tld (.com) ns looks to see if they have information stored on your domains location. it then forwards your browser to the non-auth NS (Domain Registrar glue records) which has information for your parent name servers. Your parent NS (MOFH NS) has the information for your local NS (server NS that your site actually resides on. The local NS then provides the ip address and SNI information to display the requested resource. 

So as you can see if you don't set up your glue records at the registrar then your custom ns (ns1.yourdomain.com) will not work. To set these records sign into your registrar, click on the NS area and you should see a register NS button at the top. It will ask for the FQDN of your NS and the ip address for the NS. The IPs should NOT be on the same subnet as that would pout your site at risk for a singe point of failure should one of the NS stop working. MOFH provides the ip addresses for the NS setup. Contact support if you need these numbers.

NOTE: The register NS instructions refer to freenom service. If you use a different registrar contact their support for more detailed instructions on how to complete this task.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 7:38 AM, Aqib said:

Those NS setup by mofh uses A record to point to an IP address. If you will try to use cloudflare with your mofh account then you will find A record for ns1 and ns2 in DNS records fetched by cloudflare.
You can also use any online dns checker tool to check dns records.

So when using a domain not with MOFH, this will still work?

Instead of be having to register glue records, I can just use them as A Records and then clients can point their domain to fr1.ns.domain.com and it will point to their website?