[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

How to get Free Subdomain for your Web Host or using FreeDNS

smallhost

Hello, owner of SmallHost here, and in this tutorial I will tell you how to get a free subdomain for your web host using FreeDNS. I use FreeDNS for SmallHost and it works!

1. Go to https://freedns.afraid.org/signup/?plan=starter to sign up for a FreeDNS account.
  2. Email [email protected] to ask for NS record access for your account. (NS records can potentially be abused, so FreeDNS wants to make sure you're human. I had my account for about a month before emailing them, and I got access in about 1-2 days time.)
  3. Go to https://freedns.afraid.org/domain/registry and click a domain you like. (I chose us.to, but there's hundreds of options!)
  4. Choose NS as type, enter the subdomain you want (sub.domainyou.clicked) and set the destination to ns1.byet.org. Save it.
  5. Repeat step 4 for ns2.byet.org, ns3.byet.org and ns4.byet.org.
  6. Register on MOFH at https://myownfreehost.net/createreseller.php with your subdomain and email

There was one problem I had where my account got suspended. I emailed [email protected], and they said it was flagged by their system for "possible misuse" and they reactivated my account. That process took 1-2 days, but the guy I was emailing was really nice about it.

Hope this is helpful!

Note: I said "or" in the title because I was going to write how you can point to any MOFH-based host as an addon or parked domain but clicked send too soon! Sorry!

1. Follow steps 1-3 in my previous message
  2. Choose NS as type, enter the subdomain you want (sub.domainyou.clicked) and set the destination to ns1.yourhosting.provider, replacing yourhosting.provider with the URL of your MOFH-based host (for SmallHost users, this is ns1.smallhost.us.to). Save it.
  3. Repeat step 2 for ns2.yourhosting.provider, replacing yourhosting.provider with the URL of your MOFH-based host (for SmallHost users, this is ns2.smallhost.us.to). Save it.
  4. Login to the control panel. (For SmallHost users, click here, enter your login information and click Control Panel.)
  5. Click Addon Domains or Aliases (Parked Domains), depending on what you want to set it as.
  6. Enter the subdomain. If you chose parked domain, click where you want to park it.

Hope that helps!