[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

What features should a webhosting provider have?

We all know that iFastNet provides some of the best free hosting with MOFH, especially after the recent upgrade of server power and allotted resources. 

I would like to start a discussion of two different things. 

1) What should every free hosting provider using the MOFH platform have in order to bring new visitors, and retain existing ones? This could include things like a site builder, that are not directly connected to MOFH, but are still possible. 

2) What features should be (realistically) added to MOFH for resellers to take advantage of? Obviously, things like free auto-installed SSL and higher storage cannot be added since people still need a reason to upgrade. 

What do you think? I’ll share my own lists once I get onto a device with an actually physical keyboard :)

Edited by TinkerMan

I'll go first.

Things every free web hosting provider should have in order to keep and retain clients:

• Custom (Secure) client area
  • one-click login to filemanager and cpanel
  • Site.Pro integration
  • Community Forum OR Support Channel
  • A mascot
  • Highest limits that MOFH provides
  • Email alert system for suspnsions
  • A way to report non-complience

Things that should be added to MOFH

• An API to manage client's databases
Edited by TinkerMan
clarfication

Saying that "every" free web hosting provider should have the features said above is a bit too much...

A "Good" Free Web Hosting Provider should have those but not every one of them should. Many MOFH users are just people who are new to web development who can't even make their own systems yet, and we're not trying to shunt them down by saying "Hey you don't have this and that! Every host should have it". We welcome those who wants to experiment with things here, as that's how I manage to learn a lot of things, just by playing around with the things here and I hope many new developers can be empowered by the features provided by iFastNet.

Not everyone can afford Site.Pro integration (or implement it), not everyone can draw a mascot/pay someone to do so, etc. etc.

My point is that: Every hosting here should have the following features that has been provided by iFastNet from the start:

• A website indicating that this is a free hosting, signup form for the hosting, cPanel Link/Login link
  • An active email that is monitored to receive complaints and support customers

Those are the most barebone minimum what every hosting here should have.

For advanced ones, they should have the following features:

• A non-free company domain, so you won't get locked out of your hosting when Freenom decided they will take over your domain and charge a premium for it because it has gained a lot of interesting traffic, and to look more professional.
  • Advertisements placed on cPanel or website to help recoup the cost of the domain so you don't need to shut down after only a year or so.

and lastly, for Professional ones who truly wants to invest time and money into this, should have (some or all) of the features mentioned by @TinkerMan above as it is truly nice touch to the Free Hosting business.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All of those "features" are utterly useless if the company went under, lack management or support. This business is not something you can just setup and leave. You need to invest time and money into it. Take a look at the most successful, long-standing MOFH powered hosting: InfinityFree. It's not the client area nor the Site.Pro builder that makes them successful. It's years of proven reliability and dedication by the owner, by that I mean it had existed for years without many major outages, there are ads and or systems in place to ensure revenue coming in to keep the business from going under. The company also uses Cloud Platforms to serve the main site and client area so that it is fast and responsive (and cost money too!). The company also provides great support with max 2 days response and community forum to help with other questions. It is reliability and great support that truly matters in the end as customers/clients wants a reliable hosting to their website and support if needed to.

Edit: I consider reliability and great support as "features"

Edited by PlanetCloud

1 hour ago, PlanetCloud said:

Saying that "every" free web hosting provider should have the features said above is a bit too much

Oops. I meant to add the word "Good" to the title/name/etc. My bad.

Not everyone can afford Site.Pro integration

What do you mean? It's free.

not everyone can draw a mascot/pay someone to do so

I certainly cannot!

It's years of proven reliability and dedication by the owner

I would also add the amazing community that is also over there.

Professionalism is also a bit part. Custom domain names and no grammer mistakes / misspellings included.