[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Subdomain on MyOwnFreeHost

Jst Tan

On 11/21/2023 at 1:31 AM, BastelPichi said:

You can get a .top domain for 3.35$ a year from GoDaddy.

Per month: 0.28$. According to an screenshot, you get about 0.40$ in affiliate commisions per Month from an Ultimate Premium Monthly Subscriber. So one client that upgrades would in theory be enough to cover an domain.

However users that use Free Hosting often aren't really the kind of people that want to spend 8$ a month on hosting. Also keep in mind that you cannot cashout your money up until you reach 25$ in commisions.

Well I never know you could get a .top domain for so cheap with Godaddy, then do you have any suggestions on where to get .com domains yearly for less then $9.62? 

Based on what you said, I guess it will be easy to maintain the domain without losing money I guess. I would take notes from your suggestions and advices, thanks! 

Edited by Jst Tan

On 11/21/2023 at 12:28 AM, TinkerMan said:

If you only have one domain name that you use, then yes. Any client who signs up gets a subdomain of your main domain. If clients abuse that subdomain (and trust me, they will), your main domain will also be punished by search engines and anti-virus software. 

You can get domains pretty cheap. I would recommend a .com or something from your main website, but you only need something like .top or .xyz for your users. 

If you are just using affiliate marketing to make money, you are almost certainly going to be losing money for a long time, unless you are also using affiliate links that are outside iFN, and if you are, that’s basically just advertising anyways, and is annoying. Might as well just use ads, you get more money out of it. Just put one or two on the page, and don’t use pop-ups. 

So based on what you said, I needed 2 domains, one for the hosting, and another for my clients (which is similar to InfinityFree I guess). May I ask how do clients abuse the domain, and are there any methods for me to stop it? So I should get a .com domain for my main site, and .top domain for my client sites. 

I plan to use affiliate marketing, so it is more tailored into real content on the site, and since my hosting is tailored into a specific region (Southeast Asia), so I could offer affiliate marketing content for that region, which is relevant to the users overall. I plan to use iFastNet affiliate program and etc, 

I felt the ads might annoy users, but I do liked the idea, bit it always curious me if the ads platform will bring in privacy concerns and privacy compliance too, that why I consider to use affiliate program instead, but any suggestions is appreciated. 

On 11/21/2023 at 12:28 AM, TinkerMan said:

If you only have one domain name that you use, then yes. Any client who signs up gets a subdomain of your main domain. If clients abuse that subdomain (and trust me, they will), your main domain will also be punished by search engines and anti-virus software. 

You can get domains pretty cheap. I would recommend a .com or something from your main website, but you only need something like .top or .xyz for your users. 

If you are just using affiliate marketing to make money, you are almost certainly going to be losing money for a long time, unless you are also using affiliate links that are outside iFN, and if you are, that’s basically just advertising anyways, and is annoying. Might as well just use ads, you get more money out of it. Just put one or two on the page, and don’t use pop-ups. 

Also, so I should get a .com domain with the main site serving as the hosting pages, with a www subdomain serving as my personal site, with a .top domain for my clients, did I understand and plan this correctly? Or should I get a second .com domain for my personal website instead of the www. 

1 hour ago, Jst Tan said:

Also, so I should get a .com domain with the main site serving as the hosting pages, with a www subdomain serving as my personal site, with a .top domain for my clients, did I understand and plan this correctly? Or should I get a second .com domain for my personal website instead of the www. 

Get the first domain for your personal site, the second one entirely for MOFH.

2 hours ago, Jst Tan said:

then do you have any suggestions on where to get .com domains yearly for less then $9.62? 

Probably not if you’re just buying the domain. The registry charges registrars to register the domain, so the registrars have to charge you more to make a profit. 

May I ask how do clients abuse the domain, and are there any methods for me to stop it

Upload illegal content - use it to host scams and spam, etc. The monitoring system catches a lot of it, but sometimes it gets flagged before the system takes it down. I mean if you want to regularly check every domain you can ….

Also, so I should get a .com domain with the main site serving as the hosting pages, with a www subdomain serving as my personal site, with a .top domain for my clients

Yes to the .top. The “www” subdomain and the base domain should always show the same content. For SEO purposes, you should use one or the other, and redirect the other one. For example, if you want to use “example.tld”, you should redirect “www.example.tld” to “example.tld” (Or vise versa). 

If you want a homepage and a personal site on the same domain, you can do “example.tld” OR “www.example.tld” for your hosting company homepage, and something like “me.example.tld” or “example.tld/me” for your personal site. 

14 minutes ago, TinkerMan said:

Probably not if you’re just buying the domain. The registry charges registrars to register the domain, so the registrars have to charge you more to make a profit. 

Upload illegal content - use it to host scams and spam, etc. The monitoring system catches a lot of it, but sometimes it gets flagged before the system takes it down. I mean if you want to regularly check every domain you can ….

Yes to the .top. The “www” subdomain and the base domain should always show the same content. For SEO purposes, you should use one or the other, and redirect the other one. For example, if you want to use “example.tld”, you should redirect “www.example.tld” to “example.tld” (Or vise versa). 

If you want a homepage and a personal site on the same domain, you can do “example.tld” OR “www.example.tld” for your hosting company homepage, and something like “me.example.tld” or “example.tld/me” for your personal site. 

You can delegate the www subdomain via CNAME records, even if its on mofh. Again tho, I wouldn't reccomend that.

10 minutes ago, TinkerMan said:

1) Based upon what you said, I think the domain registration I found offer the cheapest one, out of the everything else I found. 

2) Is it possible to prevent these illegal contents to appear in the sites? Or should I just suspend their acc whenever such thing was found?

3) Ok thanks for your feedback on the .top. So I should make both www and the base domain (.com) to show the hosting homepage, and a subdomain like me.example.com got my personal website. Did I understand correctly?

1 minute ago, Jst Tan said:

3) Ok thanks for your feedback on the .top. So I should make both www and the base domain (.com) to show the hosting homepage, and a subdomain like me.example.com got my personal website. Did I understand correctly?

If you dont want to pay for an additional domain, this is the best solution.

44 minutes ago, BastelPichi said:

If you dont want to pay for an additional domain, this is the best solution.

I guess this is plan then, since I don’t hv a high budget now. But any suggestions or recommendations is still welcomed. 

Edited by Jst Tan