[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Restrict Certain Subdomains for users

hello

On 11/23/2022 at 2:21 PM, hello said:

Thanks Sounds like a good idea, only if people disable the js but thats unlikely

As said by anyx, if JS is disabled then whole vPanel won't work.

But using JS to restrict subdomain registration on your main domain is not recommended as inspect element can be used for registering subdomains under your main domain.

I would recommend you to contact with ifastnet support team to get your main domain removed or replaced with some other domain name in your reseller account.

After that you can make an account as a user for your main domain and use it to provide services, then there won't be any registrations of subdomains under your main domain.

10 hours ago, SpookyKipper said:

You can use JS to hide the option as Tinkerman said.

But people can still inspect element to get the subdomain. Therefore, you might want to change your Nameservers to something else(i like Cloudflare) and point an A record to all of your subdomains created and the cPanel.

@SpookyKipperI am using Cloudflare and I have A record for all by subdomains for my hosting account. Is that what you mean?

1 hour ago, AA22Dev said:

As said by anyx, if JS is disabled then whole vPanel won't work.

But using JS to restrict subdomain registration on your main domain is not recommended as inspect element can be used for registering subdomains under your main domain.

I would recommend you to contact with ifastnet support team to get your main domain removed or replaced with some other domain name in your reseller account.

After that you can make an account as a user for your main domain and use it to provide services, then there won't be any registrations of subdomains under your main domain.

Yes, after I realised that people could make subdomains under my main domain I regretted using it. Because infinityfree uses infinityfree.net as its main domain but for the cpanel they use epizy.com So i tried doing that but with the account prefix that I was going to use was registered with my main domain but the support said that you cant transfer the prefix. So now I might get the main domain removed. 

Thanks AA22 Dev

26 minutes ago, hello said:

Yes, after I realised that people could make subdomains under my main domain I regretted using it. Because infinityfree uses infinityfree.net as its main domain but for the cpanel they use epizy.com So i tried doing that but with the account prefix that I was going to use was registered with my main domain but the support said that you cant transfer the prefix. So now I might get the main domain removed. 

Thanks AA22 Dev

You are welcome, glad to guide you!

1 hour ago, hello said:

@SpookyKipperI am using Cloudflare and I have A record for all by subdomains for my hosting account. Is that what you mean?

If your Nameservers are using Cloudflare's Nameservers, others cannot use subdomains on your domain, even though they are able to create it in the cPanel.

To let others to use your domain as subdomain, you need to use byet's nameservers. That's why using Cloudflare can block the usage of using your main domain from your users.

2 hours ago, AA22Dev said:

That would work and it is the best solution, but he might want to keep the cpanel on his Main Domain (with Login page customisations).

If he wants to put the cPanel on another domain or does not require customisations on the Login page, removing the reseller domain is the best solution.

18 hours ago, SpookyKipper said:

You can use JS to hide the option as Tinkerman said.

But people can still inspect element to get the subdomain. 

Not really. That would be CSS, not JS. JS doesn't hide the option, it removes it altogether.

EDIT: "Remove" in this context is hard to define, as it will be "removed" from the frontend, but it won't be "removed" as an option in the backend. So, I suppose you can also call it hiding :) 

It's perhaps possible to add the domain back as an option through inspect element manually and it may work, but that's not something your average user will either know or bother to do in my opinion.

18 hours ago, SpookyKipper said:

Therefore, you might want to change your Nameservers to something else(i like Cloudflare) and point an A record to all of your subdomains created and the cPanel.

That still won't prevent someone from creating a subdomain in the panel if they want, though. It just won't work (which is also a perfectly valid solution, combined with hiding/removing it first).

9 hours ago, AA22Dev said:

True, but if the subdomains can't be used (@SpookyKipper's Cloudflare suggestion) this isn't a problem.

6 hours ago, SpookyKipper said:

You need to point A record for every subdomain you created in the cPanel in Cloudflare

An A record pointing to Byet for each of the subdomains you want to use. Don't use a wildcard pointing to Byet, as it might allow some people to use the subdomains (although I'm not sure if that happens when you point it on a specific IP/main domain).

20 minutes ago, BastelPichi said:

Yes, however actually dont adding it in teh first way is the best, as you cant remove the domain you signed up with.

It seems they somehow managed that though, lol. While your solution is the optimal, it can hardly be applied without a time machine.

Edited by Anyx

1 hour ago, BastelPichi said:

Even if you completely remove it, you can still sign up under it by modifying the referer information in your browser. 

No more comments, your honor:

2 hours ago, Anyx said:

that's not something your average user will either know or bother to do in my opinion.

16 hours ago, BastelPichi said:

Yes, however actually dont adding it in teh first way is the best, as you cant remove the domain you signed up with.

Yes, you can't but ifastnet support team can

16 hours ago, Anyx said:

True, but if the subdomains can't be used (@SpookyKipper's Cloudflare suggestion) this isn't a problem.

Yes, @SpookyKipper's cloudflare suggestion is best as the domain won't be any more pointing towards byet.net nameservers and any subdomain created under that domain will become useless.

16 hours ago, Anyx said:

but that's not something your average user will either know or bother to do in my opinion

Agreed, but hosting accounts can also be used by the one who might know about inspect element thing :)

5 hours ago, AA22Dev said:

Agreed, but hosting accounts can also be used by the one who might know about inspect element thing :)

I'd let that someone get that subdomain, just for the effort. It would likely be useless anyway.

Yeah, that's why I'm not currently running a MOFH hosting, in case you were wondering.

4 minutes ago, BastelPichi said:

I tried 3 times, they always said they werent able too, but maybe bad luck?

Bad luck, changed system, or perhaps they could in the past but can't now. Oh well, that's for the one that has the issue to figure out xD 

14 hours ago, Chronos said:

One of the solutions would be to not host your reseller website onto the same reseller account/server.

However in this case hello had already added the domain, so unless they are in posession of a time machine... they'd have to make a new reseller account. I guess that's also a solution if you don't mind having two resellers, one of which would be unused.

18 hours ago, TinkerMan said:

They won't delete the domain from the account for you, it will cause huge issues later (I know, it happened to me. In fact, that rule may be because of me)

18 hours ago, BastelPichi said:

Well my attempts were like a year ago or something?

Yeah, I think I was planning to refer to @TinkerMan in a post, don't know if I actually did it. It's generally not a good idea to ask for the domain you signed up with to be removed because of the way the system works.

23 hours ago, Anyx said:

I'd let that someone get that subdomain, just for the effort. It would likely be useless anyway.

Yeah, that's why I'm not currently running a MOFH hosting, in case you were wondering.

lol, taking subdomain under your account and acting as you 😂

2 hours ago, Anyx said:

Yeah, I think I was planning to refer to @TinkerMan in a post, don't know if I actually did it. It's generally not a good idea to ask for the domain you signed up with to be removed because of the way the system works.

Hmm, their system is strange

Edited by AA22Dev

6 hours ago, AA22Dev said:

lol, taking subdomain under your account and acting as you 😂

When I snatched devs.myownfreehost.net, I planned to use it for MOFHDevWorld, not to impersonate MOFH or claim any relation. Still, I understand why they deleted it.

• 2 weeks later...