[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

bytespider crawl spam bot

There's a search crawler bot known as "Bytespider", and it has been sending hundreds of thousands of requests and shutting down my site constantly. I can't block it because it has too many IP Addresses and I can never get to my panel before it's suspended. This bot ignores robots.txt rules and should be blocked entirely on byethost's end.

I've tried to talk to their support but they do not understand anything and give nonsense replies about upgrading my plan. Upgrading my plan will not stop the spam bot.

Hi there,

Your free hosting website was too high usage for a free plan and sorry it cannot be reactivated.

So far this month your website has received 801,194 hits !

Note one visitor loading a page with 10 images or css files would causes 10 hits to the web-server. A hit is not a page load.

Your website is very popular and high usage, iFastNet.com premium hosting would be perfect for your website.
Hi there,

Sorry, but we can not help you with this unfortunately, it is your current usage and we can not stop it.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

I'm assuming that the spam is because of the forum software I'm using on my site's search system, which uses GET query parameters for an advanced search, which the bot relentlessly crawls, shutting down my site daily. This can only be resolved by blocking the bot, which I've explained several times to the support but they will not listen.

I'm hoping an administrator of Byethost will read this post and block the bot.

How do you know it is caused by ByteSpider?

Free Hosting doesn't provide this much analytics

Let's see you somehow know it, maybe logged by your CMS

You have two solutions:

1. Contact support again and tell them it's caused by Bytespider and see what they can do

2. Get a custom domain and use Cloudflare, create a WAF Rule that blocks all request with the user agent bytespider

12 hours ago, SpookyKipper said:

How do you know it is caused by ByteSpider?

Free Hosting doesn't provide this much analytics

I logged requests into a database for a short period of time once I noticed the abuse.

12 hours ago, SpookyKipper said:

You have two solutions:

1. Contact support again and tell them it's caused by Bytespider and see what they can do

2. Get a custom domain and use Cloudflare, create a WAF Rule that blocks all request with the user agent bytespider

Well, really, byethost/iFastnet should just block it for every single site because it's a bad bot.

7 hours ago, byethost user said:

Well, really, byethost/iFastnet should just block it for every single site because it's a bad bot.

Contact support, explaining the situation that it is caused by this bytespider bot, and request them to block it