[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

The Never-Ending Always-Changing Off-Topic Thread

Burke Knight

10 hours ago, Burke Knight said:

My answer is not a disgusting one, but more a "Some people should not have a computer" one.

When me father and I had our computer store back in the 1990's, we had a customer buy a computer, then return with it a month later. He was claiming it was not working right anymore.

When we asked what was wrong, as we hooked it up so could check it out, he said:

"The coffee cup holder is not working." As he pointed to the CD-ROM.

Either someone's brain wasn't working, or he was genuinely unaware of CDs. Still, weird thing to return a computer for, I mean was he using it only to hold his coffee?

4 hours ago, TinkerMan said:

🤣

Funny indeed, but you're still not providing us with your own experience...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was an older man, and this was the time when CD-ROMs were really just coming out.

I genuinely think that he really didn't know that computers had CD-ROMs and had thought that the 3.5 FDD was still the only way to install software.

However, it still show that some people never should have gotten a computer. 🤣

10 hours ago, Burke Knight said:

He was an older man, and this was the time when CD-ROMs were really just coming out.

I genuinely think that he really didn't know that computers had CD-ROMs and had thought that the 3.5 FDD was still the only way to install software.

However, it still show that some people never should have gotten a computer. 🤣

I see. Ah, the 3.5 FDDs... never got to use them despite having an old computer that would support them. I have a friend who was a collector and had a lot of floppy disks and older PCs to test them on, we'd also use to joke that we could use them on our school's older PCs before they were replaced with new ones through an EU program.

It depends on what you mean "Better", of course. Each language has its own benefits.

C++ is faster, as you mentioned, but can be a pain to handle. Python, on the other side, is easier to learn and write for the most part, but much slower as an interpreted (!= compiled) language, and can be annoying for some people as it depends solely on identation.

On 12/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, TinkerMan said:

Which one is easier to learn?

Python, definitely. 

On 12/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, BastelPichi said:

Well if i'd be using c++ id still be coding... \xD

LOL. Don't think it can be avoided, though.

1 hour ago, BastelPichi said:

Well if i'd be using c++ id still be coding... \xD

I still love C++

Also, the syntax of most languages is almost like C++. So, if you know C++, you almost know every programming language.

Python on the other hand is easy to use, but its indentation is a problem and also It is slower (as it is closer to English, and afaik, it is first compiled into C++ and then that C++ code is compiled into assembly language and then machine language)

2 minutes ago, BastelPichi said:

Python is way easier to learn. For some people C++ might be easier, especially if having worked with other languages before, but Python is defently more easy for beginners. Just already not having to deal with data types takes a load of the user...

I started programming from C++, and it was easy for me.

Also, if you Goto learns with C++ then most of your concepts will be clear, and you will be able to work with almost any programming language. You still have to deal with data types while processing different types of data. Python by default takes input as string and then you have to convert it into different data types for processing (if you want to perform operations on it).

3 minutes ago, BastelPichi said:

Yes, however you dont have to declare it in the first way, and you also dont have to care how large an variable should be. I can increment an int as logn as I want - Python will do the same to the datatype.

Yes, I agree that in C++ you have to use long for large integers.

But defining the type of variable is I think is best approach as you won't have to perform extra operation to change its type.

13 hours ago, TinkerMan said:

I wonder if we have finally killed it...

Possibly. In any case, time to plug in the Discord again:

Unofficial community discord (run by forum members): https://dsc.gg/ifastnet 

11 hours ago, Burke Knight said:

I have no idea what happened to it.

It's not even showing as available in the block list.

Maybe Invision decided to eradicate it in the latest update.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that.

20 hours ago, TinkerMan said:

I am getting very mixed responses here 😂 

Is C+ kind of like C#? I know a tiny bit of the latter. 

Sorry, missed this. C++ is, kind of; there's a joke that C# means C++++ (you can Google more about it).

I'm surprised you started with C#, then again I only know plain C so...

On 12/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, BastelPichi said:

hmmmmmm. Thats also true. But languages have its pros and cons, but most beginners choose python.

Agree

On 12/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, BastelPichi said:

Btw do you e bikes?

Nah, don't have one

On 12/4/2022 at 7:08 PM, TinkerMan said:

Is C+ kind of like C#? I know a tiny bit of the latter. 

Every programming language is somehow like the other one but in C# classes. Even main function must be wrapped in classes whereas in C++ it's your choice whether you want to go for OOP approach or not.

23 hours ago, PlanetCloud said:

Was late to the party wow... and will be busy for the next few days as well.

Yes I'm going steady with my 1001th posts and may soon reach 1003!

aaaand where's byet chat? for some reason my chat are always invincible there 🤔

Not much late, you have reached.

Byet chat is removed I think