[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Copyright Discussion

2 hours ago, Burke Knight said:

What forum software are you using now?

You do realize, you need to have the forum software's copyright in the footer of the forum.

Otherwise, you are violating their policy, as well is iFastNet's when it comes to nulled scripts. (Copyright removal counts as nulled.)

pretty sure it depends on the softwares terms and license.

18 hours ago, TinkerMan said:

Nope again. “Nulled Scripts” is not actually even in iFNs terms (And if I missed it, please let me know where it is). 

Falls under "Warez", and I'm sure you're aware of suspensions about nulled scripts.

You're right about your forum having no such requirements however, being free and open source, so I'm sure @Burke Knight got it mixed up with another forum software. 

55 minutes ago, Chronos said:

It is all about what type of license the said software implies. If they do not care about you removing their copyright notices, go ahead and remove them, but if you want to give them credits, leave them there.

To add to this:

If the software license says you need to keep the copyright, then you need to be sure to keep it and have it show how they have it. Examples of this are SMF, ElkArte, phpBB, WordPress and others. 

10 hours ago, Burke Knight said:

To add to this:

If the software license says you need to keep the copyright, then you need to be sure to keep it and have it show how they have it. Examples of this are SMF, ElkArte, phpBB, WordPress and others. 

wait WordPress needs the footer?

I mean in their custom page feature you can basically forget to add anything

On 3/21/2023 at 1:38 PM, Burke Knight said:

To add to this:

Wordpress.com be like...

From my understanding of then GNU GPL 2 as long as you incldue the license, ist completely legal to delete credits (of course disclosing changes).

Correct me if im wrong.

Split off this discussion and made its own topic.

9 hours ago, BastelPichi said:

From my understanding of then GNU GPL 2 as long as you incldue the license, ist completely legal to delete credits (of course disclosing changes).

Correct me if im wrong.

That's debatable. They do after all, have the copyright in the footer when it is installed, and in the themes.

To me, this is usually a sign that they want it to be there.

Flarum, it appears, does not even have it in the footer, which is unusual, to say the least.

On 3/22/2023 at 7:35 PM, Burke Knight said:

Split off this discussion and made its own topic.

That's debatable. They do after all, have the copyright in the footer when it is installed, and in the themes.

To me, this is usually a sign that they want it to be there.

Flarum, it appears, does not even have it in the footer, which is unusual, to say the least.

Well in any way, its best to support the project you just got free software from, unless its not an header like

THIS SOFTWARE HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR FREE BY FREEFORUMSOFTWARESDOWNLAODTODAY.cxyz

\xD