[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Best free bot blocking solution

waigyuk

4 minutes ago, waigyuk said:

I have a bot visiting my site multiple times every day from the same country.

How can I block this bot easily and for free?

It uses a different ip address each visit.

Hi, how are you sure it is a bot and not just a natural visitor? 
Also if the IP address is different, how are you able to identify it?

2 minutes ago, waigyuk said:

It's from the same country and it is a bot as I have visits all day right through the day over 24 hours

Okay, just be sure that your website is not indexed by Search Engines as it may be a visitor. Could also be a crawler bot to index your site.

To block bots from indexing your site, see https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/robots/intro and https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/block-indexing

To block certain IP from accessing your site, although might not work with MOFH, you can use CloudFlare and add an IP blacklist or other measures to block it.

I first thought this was a person as the visits started months ago and it would be a few pages on my website each day, but it has been every single day without fail for almost 6 months and in the past 2 days it has visited between every 3 to 15 minutes non stop so it can't be a person.

I still want my site to be found in search engines and I can't block an ip address range as this bot uses massively different ip addresses each visit.

I checked a couple of the ip addresses on ipqualityscore.com and they show up as "Fraud score 93 High risk". "Proxy/vpn detected". "Ip reported as blacklisted"

Edited by waigyuk

I just enabled bot fight mode in cloudflare.

Does it work instantly?

I've had lots of visits from the bot after setting up bot fight mode and it hasn't shown up in the firewall events list.

Edited by waigyuk

1 hour ago, waigyuk said:

I just enabled bot fight mode in cloudflare.

Does it work instantly?

I've had lots of visits from the bot after setting up bot fight mode and it hasn't shown up in the firewall events list.

How did you know that this person/bot is visiting you? Did you use analytics or something else?

Yes afs analytics.

I just noticed I have to change the name servers to cloudflare for it to work.

Do I also have to host my site with cloudflare to get their bot protection?

My site is hosted on byethost.com

Edited by waigyuk

3 minutes ago, waigyuk said:

Yes afs analytics.

I just noticed I have to change the name servers to cloudflare for it to work.

Do I also have to host my site with cloudflare to get their bot protection?

Cloudflare doesn't offer hosting, they just manage your DNS records. The hosting can remain the same, usually they automatically detect your DNS configuration and set it so you don't have to do anything other than changing your nameservers.

3 minutes ago, waigyuk said:

Cloudflare bot fight mode hasn't worked.

The name servers changed quickly but the bot visits have carried on.

Cloudflare has a super bot fight mode but you have to pay for it.

DNS changes will take up to 72 hours to propagate world-wide.

The visits are all from one country.

Can I block that country from accessing my website using cloudflare?

I just set up a firewall rule to block that country, but in the cloudflare events list that country hasn't shown up even though I have had lots of visits since setting up cloudflare.

I take it that will change once the updated name servers change in that country?

Ok, since adding the block for that country the event list already shows four blocks from that country so blocking the country seems to be working :D

I will find out soon if my analytics show any other visits from that country.

2 hours ago, waigyuk said:

The visits are all from one country.

Can I block that country from accessing my website using cloudflare?

You have to be extremely sure no legitimate customer will come from that country lol. That's a bit extreme IMO.

I just set up a firewall rule to block that country, but in the cloudflare events list that country hasn't shown up even though I have had lots of visits since setting up cloudflare.

I take it that will change once the updated name servers change in that country?

As mentioned, may take up to 72 hours. From personal experience it's mostly an hour or two at max, but the official range is 72hrs.

Ok, since adding the block for that country the event list already shows four blocks from that country so blocking the country seems to be working :D

I will find out soon if my analytics show any other visits from that country.

Hopefully no legitimate customers are blocked :D

My website gets hardly any visits and it's normal to get only about 5 visits a day or less.

It's just a personal website and I can't remember seeing many if any visits in the past from that country so it's not a big deal.

I'm sure the country block is working as I now have 11 blocked events from that country in cloudflare and no visits from that country on my website analytics.

No offence to cloudflare but it would be easier for me to use my htaccess file to block the country.

Is there any difference from using cloudflare or htaccess to block a country?

Edited by waigyuk

Ok I will just use the cloudflare country block now up to 17 blocks from that country.

I've just disabled bot fight mode to see if that makes any difference.

Two more blocks after disabling bot fight mode so it is the country block that is working.

I'll leave it at that, thanks for the help.

Edited by waigyuk