[MUST READ] Forum Rules ×

Freenom has seized control of my domains.

PlanetCloud

It is with profound sorrow and regret that I must inform you all that my sole, surviving MyOwnFreeHost Reseller Account domain has been unexpectedly and unjustly taken by Freenom. Despite my diligent efforts to renew the domain annually and ensure its perpetual existence, it has been stripped from me. The domain receives minimal traffic, limited to myself and a few associates.

It is imperative that you steer clear of Freenom, especially their gratuitous offerings. The seized domain served no significant purpose beyond the testing of a certain free program I developed, and thus, enumerating them for the purpose of reclaiming by Jo is deemed unnecessary.

This post serves as a warning to others regarding Freenom and as a safeguard against any potential repercussions, absolving me of any responsibility.

I personally am a mass freenom domain horder, and despite my accounts beeing blocked from registering trice, none of my domains have been taken. Yes, this can happen. Hasnt happened for me, but will see.

Personally I also experienced that alltho the domain is expired after some time it was pointing to original ns again - alltho not beeing registere by anybody.

Freenoms system is very scrappy and it could even be that it was just an bug in their system - you never know. Double registering has been proven to be quite often a problem.

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 5:28 AM, iPedroLB said:

Freenom has taken alot of my domains multiple times.
A few of them even turned into NSFW ads. And yes i renewed them

I personally use Hostinger but i'm gonna migrate to Namecheap as soon as i can

As I said, traffic equals money.

Just now, mariah said:

Little late but, Freenom is know to remove domains that receive traffic of any sort. So if you want to keep your domains, don’t use them I guess?

15 hours ago, mariah said:

As I said, traffic equals money.

Yeah, to a post 4-5 months ago? There wasn't a need for a doublepost.

15 hours ago, mariah said:

Little late but, Freenom is know to remove domains that receive traffic of any sort. So if you want to keep your domains, don’t use them I guess?

At this point, Freenom is on the verge of fully shutting down, the .ga TLD was revoked by Gabon and is now available for sale at accredited registrars, Mali also is on the process to revoke .ml from them, and I expect .cf and .gq to follow shortly, if they haven't already. 

In there Terms and Conditions it states:

-

8.2 Modifications of FREE domain

By accepting this Agreement, you hereby acknowledge and agree that we, in our sole discretion, may modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the service at any part thereof, at any time with or without prior notice, including, without limitation, modification or discontinuance of advertising, content and applications appearing as part of FREE DOMAIN. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of FREE DOMAIN or any part thereof.

-

This means that they technically reserve the right to remove the domain without warrant, even though it would be unjust.

Edited by mariah

10 hours ago, mariah said:

-

By accepting this Agreement, you hereby acknowledge and agree that we, in our sole discretion, may modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the service at any part thereof, at any time with or without prior notice, including, without limitation, modification or discontinuance of advertising, content and applications appearing as part of FREE DOMAIN. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of FREE DOMAIN or any part thereof.

-

This means that they technically reserve the right to remove the domain without warrant, even though it would be unjust.

its different, the .ga - stands for the country Gabon - domain is *no longer controlled by Freenom*.
The Gabon Government has taken the rights back. 

18 hours ago, mariah said:

-

-

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make? No one claimed otherwise, but to do so is a scummy move (and one of the reasons I'm not particularly sad they're closing, feel more bad about their customers rather than them).

rip-bozo.gif

19 hours ago, mariah said:

All i was saying is they were sketchy to begin with.

Ah, I see. I completely agree; they were sketchy, but for many they seemed like the only option (especially since they were the only registrar to offer actual TLDs for free and not just subdomains).

7 hours ago, BastelPichi said:

Well they are also in some other shady buissnesses - for example an "bank" for adult creators with Lots of people reporting locked Accounts and Taken Money.

How lovely. 

On 6/15/2023 at 1:28 AM, mariah said:

All i was saying is they were sketchy to begin with.

Sketchy? Yes
I have no money?* Yes
They give domains for free? Yes
I did not expect to have that many clients and traffic? Yes
*back then

So yea, let this serve as a warning to those who are serious about their host.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:48 AM, PlanetCloud said:

Sketchy? Yes
I have no money?* Yes
They give domains for free? Yes
I did not expect to have that many clients and traffic? Yes
*back then

So yea, let this serve as a warning to those who are serious about their host.

Gone now and sued into nonexistence? Yes

On 1/30/2023 at 8:14 AM, PlanetCloud said:

It is with profound sorrow and regret that I must inform you all that my sole, surviving MyOwnFreeHost Reseller Account domain has been unexpectedly and unjustly taken by Freenom. Despite my diligent efforts to renew the domain annually and ensure its perpetual existence, it has been stripped from me. The domain receives minimal traffic, limited to myself and a few associates.

It is imperative that you steer clear of Freenom, especially their gratuitous offerings. The seized domain served no significant purpose beyond the testing of a certain free program I developed, and thus, enumerating them for the purpose of reclaiming by Jo is deemed unnecessary.

This post serves as a warning to others regarding Freenom and as a safeguard against any potential repercussions, absolving me of any responsibility.

Friends freenom since September/October last year stopped offering domains and it was expected that people who had a domain with them sooner or later would lose it so it is not only your domain I guess it will continue to progressively removing access to users to their domain go to freenom and try to create a new domain to see that says an alert and obviously you can not create anything. greetings.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:40 AM, Anyx said:

Yeah, to a post 4-5 months ago? There wasn't a need for a doublepost.

At this point, Freenom is on the verge of fully shutting down, the .ga TLD was revoked by Gabon and is now available for sale at accredited registrars, Mali also is on the process to revoke .ml from them, and I expect .cf and .gq to follow shortly, if they haven't already. 

exact (Y)

6 hours ago, einet said:

Friends freenom since September/October last year stopped offering domains and it was expected that people who had a domain with them sooner or later would lose it so it is not only your domain I guess it will continue to progressively removing access to users to their domain go to freenom and try to create a new domain to see that says an alert and obviously you can not create anything. greetings.

Yes, it's quite unfortunate for it to go this way. However they did not send me any emails regarding this. They should at least say something first.

7 hours ago, einet said:

greetings.

Welcome back!

1 hour ago, PlanetCloud said:

However they did not send me any emails regarding this. They should at least say something first.

It's Freenom... when did they ever feel the obligation to let their customers know about anything important?

On 6/20/2023 at 2:26 AM, einet said:

That is not really true. You could register domains pretty much until they got sued.

Currently you can still renew freenom domains but idk. As they dont own .ga anymore, they also cant monetize 1/5 of their domains already, and I'd guess the other countrys are gonna get a proper registrar now too.

22 hours ago, BastelPichi said:

That is not really true. You could register domains pretty much until they got sued.

Currently you can still renew freenom domains but idk. As they dont own .ga anymore, they also cant monetize 1/5 of their domains already, and I'd guess the other countrys are gonna get a proper registrar now too.

I'd say that's pretty true as I can't register anything new or claim my old ones back then. However it could be a restriction placed on my account.